[Intel-gfx] [RFC v2 0/5] Waitboost drm syncobj waits

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at intel.com
Thu Feb 16 18:19:53 UTC 2023

On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 11:14:00AM -0800, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 5:07 AM Tvrtko Ursulin
> <tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
> >
> > In i915 we have this concept of "wait boosting" where we give a priority boost
> > for instance to fences which are actively waited upon from userspace. This has
> > it's pros and cons and can certainly be discussed at lenght. However fact is
> > some workloads really like it.
> >
> > Problem is that with the arrival of drm syncobj and a new userspace waiting
> > entry point it added, the waitboost mechanism was bypassed. Hence I cooked up
> > this mini series really (really) quickly to see if some discussion can be had.
> >
> > It adds a concept of "wait count" to dma fence, which is incremented for every
> > explicit dma_fence_enable_sw_signaling and dma_fence_add_wait_callback (like
> > dma_fence_add_callback but from explicit/userspace wait paths).
>
> I was thinking about a similar thing, but in the context of dma_fence
> (or rather sync_file) fd poll()ing.  How does the kernel differentiate
> between "housekeeping" poll()ers that don't want to trigger boost but
> simply know when to do cleanup, and waiters who are waiting with some
> urgency.  I think we could use EPOLLPRI for this purpose.
>
> Not sure how that translates to waits via the syncobj.  But I think we
> want to let userspace give some hint about urgent vs housekeeping
> waits.

Should the hint be on the waits, or should the hints be on the executed
context?

In the end we need some way to quickly ramp-up the frequency to avoid
the execution bubbles.

waitboost is trying to guess that, but in some cases it guess wrong
and waste power.

btw, this is something that other drivers might need:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1500#note_825883
Cc: Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher at amd.com>