[Intel-gfx] [RFC v2 0/5] Waitboost drm syncobj waits

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at intel.com
Fri Feb 17 20:45:40 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 09:00:49AM -0800, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 8:03 AM Tvrtko Ursulin
> <tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 17/02/2023 14:55, Rob Clark wrote:

> > > since there is discussion happening in two places:
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/8014#note_1777433
> > >
> > > What I think you might want is a ctx boost_mask which lets an app or
> > > driver disable certain boost signals/classes.  Where fence waits is
> > > one class of boost, but hypothetical other signals like touchscreen
> > > (or other) input events could be another class of boost.  A compute
> > > workload might be interested in fence wait boosts but could care less
> > > about input events.
> >
> > I think it can only be apps which could have any chance knowing whether
> > their use of a library is latency sensitive or not. Which means new
> > library extensions and their adoption. So I have some strong reservation
> > that route is feasible.
> >
> > Or we tie with priority which many drivers do. Normal and above gets the
> > boosting and what lowered itself does not (aka SCHED_IDLE/SCHED_BATCH).
>
> yeah, that sounds reasonable.

on that gitlab-issue discussion Emma Anholt was against using the priority
to influence frequency since that should be more about latency.

or we are talking about something different priority here?

> > Related note is that we lack any external control of our scheduling
> > decisions so we really do suck compared to other scheduling domains like
> > CPU and IO etc.

> > > Let me re-spin my series and add the syncobj wait flag and i915 bits
> >
> > I think wait flag is questionable unless it is inverted to imply waits
> > which can be de-prioritized (again same parallel with SCHED_IDLE/BATCH).
> > Having a flag which "makes things faster" IMO should require elevated
> > privilege (to avoid the "arms race") at which point I fear it quickly
> > becomes uninteresting.
>
> I guess you could make the argument in either direction.  Making the
> default behavior ramp up clocks could be a power regression.

yeap, exactly the media / video conference case.

> I also think the "arms race" scenario isn't really as much of a
> problem as you think.  There aren't _that_ many things using the GPU
> at the same time (compared to # of things using CPU).   And a lot of
> mobile games throttle framerate to avoid draining your battery too
> quickly (after all, if your battery is dead you can't keep buying loot
> boxes or whatever).

Very good point.

And in the GPU case they rely a lot on the profiles. Which btw, seems
to be the Radeon solution. They boost the freq if the high performance
profile is selected and don't care about the execution bubbles if low
or mid profiles are selected, or something like that.