Local Display Direct Flip Feature Discussion

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 12:33:50 UTC 2018

  Hi,

> The proposed userspace interface:

> Each plane of the vGPU is exposed as a DRM framebuffer object in the
> host-side during the vGPU creation. So host userspace can assign the
> HW display planes to vGPU's planes by using existing DRM/KMS APIs.

--verbose please.

Isn't a framebuffer just a gem object with metadata (fourcc, width,
height, stride, ...) attached?  So I'm wondering how that works in
detail.  What happens on page-flip?  Do you make the framebuffer
reference another gem object then?  Or do you blit the guest display
to the framebuffer?

What happens when the guest switches the display resolution?

thanks,
  Gerd