Making drm_gpuvm work across gpu devices

Felix Kuehling felix.kuehling at amd.com
Mon Jan 29 17:52:27 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-29 11:28, Christian König wrote:
> Am 29.01.24 um 17:24 schrieb Felix Kuehling:

>>> Why not? As far as I can see the OpenMP USM is just another funky
>>> way of userptr handling.
>>>
>>> The difference is that in an userptr we assume that we always need
>>> to request the whole block A..B from a mapping while for page fault
>>> based handling it can be just any page in between A and B which is
>>> requested and made available to the GPU address space.
>>>
>>> As far as I can see there is absolutely no need for any special SVM
>>> handling.
>>
>> It does assume a shared virtual address space between CPU and GPUs.
>> There are no API calls to tell the driver that address A on the CPU
>> maps to address B on the GPU1 and address C on GPU2. The KFD SVM API
>> was designed to work with this programming model, by augmenting the
>> shared virtual address mappings with virtual address range attributes
>> that can modify the migration policy and indicate prefetching,
>> prefaulting, etc. You could think of it as madvise on steroids.
>
> Yeah, so what? In this case you just say through an IOCTL that CPU
> range A..B should map to GPU range C..D and for A/B and C/D you use
> the maximum of the address space.

What I want is that address range A..B on the CPU matches A..B on the
GPU, because I'm sharing pointers between CPU and GPU. I can't think of
any sane user mode using a unified memory programming model, that would
ever ask KFD to map unified memory mappints to a different address range
on the GPU. Adding such an ioclt is a complete waste of time, and can
only serve to add unnecessary complexity.

Regards,
   Felix