Separating xe_vma- and page-table state

Thomas Hellström thomas.hellstrom at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 14 08:57:12 UTC 2024

Hi, Matt,

 Wed, 2024-03-13 at 19:43 +0000, Matthew Brost wrote:
> [...]
> > state (the hmmptr range / attributes) and page-table state (the
> > regions
> > of the hmmptr that are actually populated), so it would be a
> > consequence of our current implementation (limitations).
> >
> > With the suggestion to separate vma state and pt state, the xe_svm
> > ranges map to pt state and are managed per hmmptr vma. The vmas
> > would
> > then be split mainly as a result of UMD mapping something else (bo)
> > on
> > top, or UMD giving new memory attributes for a range (madvise type
> > of
> > operations).
> >

> Thanks for the explaination.
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> Do an initial implementation is based on 1) - Split VMAs so they are
> either fully populated or unpopulated, each svm_range becomes an
> xe_vma.
>
> This is what I did in a quick PoC [A] and got basic system allocator
> working in ~500 loc. Is it fully baked? No, but also it not all that
> far
> off.
>
> We get the uAPI in place, agree on all the semantics, get IGTs in
> place,
> and basic UMD support. We walk before we run...
>
> Then transform to code to 2). The real benefit of 2) is going to be
> the
> memory footprint of all the state and the fragmentation of GPUVM RB
> tree
> that comes with spliting VMAs. I'll state one obvious benefit,
> xe_pt_state < xe_vma in size.
>
> I'll give a quick example of the fragmentation issue too.
>
> User binds 0-2^46 - 1 xe_vma
> Fault - 3 xe_vma (split into 2 unpopulated xe_vma, 1 populated
> xe_vma)
> Free - 3 xe_vma (replace 1 populated xe_vma with 1 unpopulated
> xe_vma)
>
> Do this a couple of million times and we will tons of fragmentation
> and
> unnecessary xe_vma floating around. So pursuing 2) is probably worth
> while.
>
> Is 2) going to quite a bit more complicated implementation. Let me
> give
> fairly simple example.
>
> User binds 0-2^46 - 1 xe_vma
> Tons of occurs - 1 xe_vma, tons of xe_pt_states
> User binds a BO - 3 xe_vma, need to split xe_pt_states between 2 new
> xe_vma, possibly unmap some xe_pt_states, yikes...
>
> While 2) is more complicated I don't think it is complete rewrite
> from
> 1) either. [A] is built on top of [B] which introduces the concept of
> PT
> OPs (in addition to existing concepts of GPUVM op / xe_vma_op). With
> bit more of seperation I think getting 2) to work won't be all the
> difficult and the uppers layer (IOCTLs, migrate code, fault handler,
> etc..) should largely be unchanged from 1) -> 2).
>
> With a staging plan of 1) -> 2) I think this doable. Thoughts?

Without looking at the code ablve, yes I think this sounds like a good
plan. Oak, it would be good to hear your comments on this as well. I
think, given 1) Implementing 2) as a POC wouldn't be too hard. Then we
also need to figure how both approaches tie into the possibility to
make GPUVM hepers out of this...

/Thomas