[LDTP-Dev] LDTP for WxPython Applications?

Nagappan Alagappan nagappan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:16:08 PDT 2009

Hello Wang,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Wang, Scott <scott.wang at intel.com> wrote:

>  Folks,
>

> We are developing a GUI tool under Linux/Gnome desktop using wxPython. We
> are evaluating an Automation Test infrastructure for GUI test. We tried
> LDTP. It can recognize our application window, Menu and Buttons.  We can
> write scripts to trigger actions using these Menus. But we run into the
> issues that the underlying “Accessibility” library used by LDTP can’t
> recognized the UI controls. For example, ListCtrl. As our GUI tools needs
> automated test cases that make uses of all controls in the application such
> as Trees, List, Combo and Edit, etc. By only accessing Menu and Buttons, the
> test coverage will be too small.
>

> I did a search on the net. I found some one have already post the question
> on wx-users raising similar issues.
>

> http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users/browse_thread/thread/1636071d4c70aeba/fb80117c1ce6508e?q=ldtp+dogtail#fb80117c1ce6508e
>

> I’d like to ask LDTP expert what is the reason that A11 can’t recognize
> these controls? (wxPython is a Python wrapper for wxWidget which is based on
> GTK+.) Is Gnome Accessibility teams is aware of this?

Yes, its a known issue. The wxWidget team has to implement the gail layer to
make all its widget accessibility enabled. The accessibility of wxWidget
supports MS Accessibility as of now -
http://www.wxwidgets.org/docs/technote/wxaccesstips.htm and that document
seems to be updated by 2004. Some one has to work on that. If that layer is
ready, I'm sure all the wxWidget applications will be a11y enabled and LDTP
can access them.

Thanks
Nagappan

> Best Regards
>
> Scott Wang

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project -
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com