[RFC v1] system_data_types.7: Draft (and links to it: <type>.3)

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) mtk.manpages at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 10:55:17 UTC 2020

Hi Alex,

On 9/14/20 12:37 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> On 9/14/20 2:20 AM, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> I'm going to hold my finger in the wind, and say: lets restrict the
> list to what seem like the most relevant APIs, where obviously that is
> a somewhat subjective choice. You could include all the other APIs in
> .\" comments, so we can see what's excluded, and this may trigger some
> tweaking. So, for 'struct timespec' the list might be as simple as:
>
> clock_gettime(2), clock_nanosleep(2), nanosleep(2)
> timerfd_gettime(2), timer_gettime(2)

Just to add to this. Even if limiting to "relevant" APIs,
I think some of the lists might still be quite long (which
is okay). For example, I do expect the 'time_t' list will
remain long.

Some of your items in the 'timer_t' list definitely don't
belong (timer_getoverrun, timer_delete).

The 'sigval' list looks about right.

I think the 'timeval' list could be trimmed back a bit.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk