[RFC v4] system_data_types.7: Document sigval, ssize_t, suseconds_t, time_t, timer_t, timespec & timeval

Andries E. Brouwer Andries.Brouwer at cwi.nl
Wed Sep 16 10:06:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:03:13AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> [CC += AEB]
>
>> Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) dixit:

>> I severely object.
>
> The "verbatim" license has been the most widely used license in
> manual pages, almost since the inception of the project 27 years
> ago. (Currently more than half of the pages carry this license.)
>
> I don't know the origin of the license (perhaps AEB does),

Digging through old sources reveals:

I started maintaing man-pages in 1995.
My first release was man-pages-1.6.
That release contained 245 man pages with the above license.

The first release that had the above license was man-pages-1.4,
released Sep 1994 by Rik Faith.
It contained 234 man pages with the above license.
man-pages-1.4.Announce describes that there are now
238 pages with "verbatim copying" and
41 pages with "GNU General Public License".

Earlier, man-pages-1.3 (released Jun 1994) by Rik Faith had
messy copyright statements or nothing at all, and Rik Faith made
for 1.4 a serious attempt at providing each page with a proper license.

So, this text came from Rik Faith.
It mentions "this manual page", so was probably written
especially for this manpage collection.
You might ask him for further details.

Andries