Tweaking the program name for <err.h> functions

Alejandro Colomar alx at kernel.org
Sat Mar 9 18:46:38 UTC 2024

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Mar 09, 2024 at 07:35:27PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Mär 09 2024, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>
> > There's not a portable way to configure them, AFAIK.  You could say it's
> > glibc and musl's fault, for importing the err.h functions without
> > importing setprogname(3).
>
> When glibc imported err, setprogname didn't exist yet.

Thanks.  Then BSD extended the contract.  That's still a problem of musl
and glibc.  The API is deficient without setprogname(3), and should be
fixed.  I think libc should either drop err.h and let another library
take ownership of the API, or add a way to configure it, hopefully being
compatible with the BSDs.  No?

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--