[Libburn] Re: 64 bit off_t

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Feb 21 14:47:23 PST 2006

Hi,

> "Large File Support" seems to be synonymous with 64-bits.

Isn't there a thing called ZFS with 128 bits ?

> I think in
> the future if larger file support is needed, it will be called
> something new like "Huge File Support" or something.

How much man made digital data is out there in the world ?
I got ~ 100 GB + 3 times backup of 70 GB = ~ 300 GB .
You need about 50 million people like me to get 2 exp 64
bytes of data. Hard to estimate ... but if we count all
music CDs and movied DVDs ... i think 64 bit is reached.

> It'd be nice to
> have someone test the build on a 64bit system, but other than the
> possibility of that breaking, I think I am satisfied with how it is
> now.

By incident yesterday morning i had a bug report for
scdbackup under 64-bit Gentoo (which i was able to
solve quickly after some cups of tea got me awake).

The try to recruit that user for some cdrskin testing
is still ongoing. But there is no cdrskin on CSV-libburn
yet. If i make some, my user is prone to the sticky
drive problem. I will have to learn more about his system
... and wether he is willing to do the testing at all.
He announced to run a fat base backup next, so i will
probably hear from him in one or two days.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas