[Libburn] I ran K3b on top of libburn :))

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 00:53:09 PST 2006

Hi,

i just found all the new replies to my mails of december.
That'll mean some work for me. :))

For your amusement meanwhile :

Derek Foreman wrote in :
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libburn/2004-October/000220.html
>
> ... I'd love to see k3b
> using libburn as a back-end someday.  Also useful might be a command line
> front end that exactly mimics cdrecord.  So people could use libburn with
> their favourite "legacy" burning application.

Please see a screenshot of a K3b 0.10 "Data CD" run with verification:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_k3b.gif
and note the line
  "Using cdrecord 2.1-Emulation - Copyright (C) 2006, see libburn + cdrskin"

artfully provoked by this line in the output of cdrskin -version :
  "Cdrecord 2.01-Emulation Copyright (C) 2006, see libburn + cdrskin"

cdrskin had been installed as /usr/bin/cdrecord (sorry Joerg,
just for testing) so the following activities of K3b have actually
been performed by libburn and cdrskin:
  /usr/bin/cdrecord -version
  /usr/bin/cdrecord -help
  /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=0,0,0 speed=0 blank=fast
  /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -dao \
                    driveropts=burnfree -eject -data -tsize=63937s -

(My poor writer is clicking pitifully under that verification
 procedure. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Hardware
 should intervene. One can do verification via a stream MD5, too.)

One fundamental problem remained:

k3b does not ask cdrecord for drive addresses but obviously derives
them from /dev/... . Is there any chance to get Bus,Target,Lun from
libburn in case of ide-scsi emulation ?
(I am lucky, the drive is addressable as 0,0,0 by both cdrecord
 and cdrskin.)

I added an option to cdrskin which allows to prepare the program for
addresses which might be invented by the caller:
  dev_translation=<SeparatorChar><FromDev><SeparatorChar><ToDev>

E.g.:
  cdrskin dev_translation=+0,0,0+/dev/sg0 \
          dev_translation=-"cd+rw"-/dev/sg0 \
          dev_translation=+"dvd"+1,1,0 \

It is possible to make k3b use cdrskin without disguising it as
cdrecord.
See screenshots of the configuration windows at:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/k3b_on_cdrskin.html

In clickicolorful menu :
  Settings:Configure K3b...:Programs:Search Path
toggle in the full address of the cdrskin binary. E.g.:
  /usr/bin/cdrskin

In
  Settings:Configure K3b...:Programs:Programs
there should be two "cdrecord" programs now. Select
  /usr/bin/cdrskin
and click button
  Set Default
Press buttons "Apply" and "Ok" in some luck promising combination.

In
  Settings:Configure K3b...:Programs:User Parameters
doubleclick in the "cdrecord" line the column "Parameters".
Enter
  -v dev_translation=+0,0,0+/dev/sg0
resp. a matching translation from k3b's or cdrecord's address idea
to an address which leads cdrskin to the same device. Compare output
of cdrecord -scanbus with cdrskin -scanbus or cdrskin --devices
in order to learn about their addresses for the same device.
(Click on a different line before you press "Apply" and/or "Ok".
Better revisit the menu and check wether it did not throw away
your input.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas