[Libdlo] [ANNOUNCE] udlfb 0.2.2 and xf86-driver-displaylink 0.2

Roberto De Ioris roberto at unbit.it
Tue Jun 9 14:47:41 PDT 2009

> On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 15:14 +0200, Roberto De Ioris wrote:
>> Hi all, there is a new version of udlfb (displaylink linux framebuffer
>> module) and of the related xorg driver.
>>
>> Changes are:
>>
>> - preliminary supports for double buffering (mainly intended for smooth
>> video playing)
>> - rle compression (thanks to Henrik Bjerregaard Pedersen)
>> - real screen blanking
>> - a bit of code refactoring to support 24bit in the next release
>> - an optimization on the xorg driver to reduce flickering on multiple
>> damaged regions.
>>
>> The all-in-one package con be downloaded from:
>>
>> http://projects.unbit.it/downloads/xf86-video-displaylink_and_udlfb.tar.gz
>
> The static mode list is... what's the polite word here... unpleasant.
>
> I'm also a bit confused that the setup data used for all the static
> modes doesn't appear to be linearly related to the mode timings.  This
> seems needlessly opaque.
>
> - ajax

Without proper specs (from displaylink) it is impossibile to set the modes
without using those horrible blobs.

Soon or later those specs will arrive or someone will discover them, until
that, only an "ugly" (udlfb stay for ugly-dlfb) approach is viable.

I think its better than nothing.

--

Roberto De Ioris