[Libdlo] libdlo dynamic modeset

Andy Fisher a.j.fisher at displaylink.com
Mon Jun 15 14:31:52 PDT 2009

The use of LFSRs may seem "counter" intuitive (sorry I couldn't resist
the pun) but as has been stated on the list LFSRs are generally faster
than an equivalent length binary counter.

When DislayLink (or Newnham Research as it was back then) first got
off the ground early proof of concept designs used FPGAs. In fact some
of the early products were FPGA based. Getting FPGAs of this vintage
to run at speeds sufficient for rastering video was challenging so
creative thinking had to be applied in a number of places!

Generally an an optimal length LFSR counts around all the possible
binary values (except zero) in a totally predictable, if not
particularly intuitive, sequence. The important thing in our case is
that the critical feedback path only cascades through a small number
of XOR gates. In a binary counter the feedback runs the whole length
of the counter, through 15 xor gates in our case. An additional
benefit in the FPGA case was that the 4 input XOR gate required for
the 16 bit LFSR mapped perfectly to one lookup table in the FPGA of
choice resulting in a
very fast counter. At the start of each line (or frame for vertical
timing) the counter is initialised to all ones and comparators trigger
events such as start and end of sync pulses.

These days in our ASICs these techniques are not really necessary to
achieve the speeds required and it is very likely that our future
devices will not work this way.

One of the aims of libdlo is to provide a library with a consistent
interface across our developing range of devices to unify changes like
this one and others (of considerably higher complexity) without each
application having to continuously modify their code. It is obviously
going to need to evolve and the useful feedback from this list is
steering the work we are trying to get done updating the library.

Andy Fisher

(DisplayLink Ltd)