[Libdlo] Basic PNG and SVG display

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu May 21 17:13:42 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 08:40:09PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have proved that my hardware basically works with a couple of demos
> that render PNG and SVG images (the latter using librsvg).  My idea was
> that these two formats could be useful in applications like network
> activity graphs when plugged in to your router, and so on.

Very cool, can you post your code anywhere?

> However, if we get a kernel framebuffer driver (as Roberto promises)
> then a user-space utility like this seems of little use.  There are
> probably already dozens of programs that can render graphics into a
> framebuffer device.  Actually the more I think about it the more I
> believe that a kernel framebuffer driver is the right solution for this
> sort of thing.

For small systems that you are using this type of thing for, yes, I
agree, it's the best thing in the long run.  But a simple svg displayer
is also pretty nice to have, and might be better for some types of
instances (tiny embedded Linux driving lots of different displays.)  I
know lots of installs use machines as "big" as a wyse thin client to
only drive a single screen (look in SFO next time you are there).  With
a svg render, and a few USB hubs, it would be easier to drive multiple
displays for a much cheaper solution.

thanks,

greg k-h