[Libdlo] tubecable 0.1 - a low-level library for Displaylink devices with compression support

Phil Endecott spam_from_libdlo at chezphil.org
Sat May 30 07:12:52 PDT 2009

Florian Echtler wrote:
> I'd like to announce tubecable 0.1
> - Huffman-compressed data

Well done Florian.  I've tried your demo and it works on my mimo with
this change to tubecable_demo.c:

         usb_dev_handle* handle = usb_get_device_handle( 0x17E9, 0x401a
); // mimo UM-710
         if (!handle) {
                 fprintf(stderr,"No device found\n");
                 return 1;
         }

I see some horizontal artefacts; I presume that they are expected due
to the missing codes, right?

If no-one else is volunteering I'll have a go at turning your
compression code into something more efficient, i.e. a binary table.

So what are we going to do with this?  Here are some possibilities, in
no particular order:

- DisplayLink add this functionality to libdlo.
- Someone else produces a patch that adds this to libdlo and it's
graciously accepted.
- Someone else produces a patch and it's not accepted, and a
libdlo+compression fork is established somewhere else.
- Roberto adds this to his framebuffer driver and everyone uses that
instead of libdlo.
- Florian's library matures into something that has no disadvantages
compared to libdlo and everyone uses that instead.

Note that I have not included "everyone continues to use libdlo without
compression and Florian's code is ignored", because that's one outcome
that I can't imagine will happen.

Right, I'm going to the beach.  Let's see if a plan has been agreed
before I get back...

Phil.