[Libdlo] Fedora 11 status report

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Mon Nov 9 09:13:50 PST 2009

Hi Alexander,

Took a quick look at the kernel oops.  We obviously don't have people
running with debug kernels, since we hadn't seen that one -- clearly
still early days.

It looks like fbcon assumes that the fbdev driver under it will never
call a function that could sleep (that is, it will call the fbdev
driver while in interrupt context).

Unfortunately, none of the displaylink fbdev drivers are designed for
that constraint.  Because they're unusual in that they've got another
complex subsystem under them (usb), it's not clear they can, without
queuing up the request for later execution. But this needs to be
looked into.  Roberto, Jaya, others - anyone already thought this
through?

So at least for the time being it looks like that workaround from the
last mail to disable fbcon is essential.  But this should go on the
list of issues to deal with.

Thanks,
Bernie