[Libdlo] displaylink-mod status for kernel 2.6.18

Bernie Thompson bernie at berniethompson.com
Thu Nov 12 10:42:59 PST 2009

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for reporting this.  That problem comes up on kernels where the
kzalloc function fails for the largish framebuffer backing allocation.

The nice thing is we have so many darn branches floating around now,
that we have one for every occasion.  :) This branch of
displaylink-mod (which forgoes allocating a backing bufffer entirely,
with a tradeoff in performance) should work:
http://git.plugable.com/gitphp/index.php?p=displaylink-mod&a=tree&h=refs/heads/noback&hb=noback

As will Jaya's displaylinkfb, or patching to use a different
allocation function (search the list for a patch from Dan Ellis).

The udlfb 0.4.0 release yesterday, however, will still have the same
behavior you're currently seeing on displaylink-mod 0.3.

On plans:

We need to get things moving forward with the driver that's already in
kernel (udlfb) so we can get all this stuff in one place.  From the
discussion with Greg, We'll try to keep up what was started yesterday
-- of doing new udlfb releases that bring things together and keep
them moving forward -- but also take on the work of doing it in
feature/topic branches that we can submit as somewhat functionally
independent email patches against the full kernel, to align with the
kernel & staging tree process.

Any offers to help or comments/suggestions on smarter ways of handling
things are always welcome.

Thanks,
Bernie