[Libdlo] Tips for setting up displaylink with Xinerama

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Tue Jan 5 10:16:59 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get the latest udlfb/xf86-video-displaylink combo working.
I've managed to set things up months ago (using Robertos sources) but
had to patch udlfb (X didn't read EDID data) and libxinerama (2 nvidia
screens + 1 displaylink) for my purpose.

> Firstly, you need the newer udlfb sources which enable you to use the
> xf86-driver-fbdev with Xorg. These can be fetched here:
>
> "git clonehttp://git.plugable.com/webdav/udlfb"
>
> To compile this, you will need to enable "Virtual Framebuffer" in your
> kernel, and you will also want "VESA Framebuffer".

I just tried using kernel 2.6.30, enabled CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL (as module,
does it matter?) and made sure CONFIG_FB_VESA is set.

I still can't build udlfb:
--%<------------------------------
/home/resi/abs/udlfb-git/src/udlfb-build/udlfb.c: In function
'dlfb_dpy_deferred_io':
/home/resi/abs/udlfb-git/src/udlfb-build/udlfb.c:1022: error: 'struct
fb_info' has no member named 'fbdefio'

Looking into fb.h clears things up, I need to set CONFIG_FB_DEFERRED_IO.
I couldn't find the option in make menuconfig, how do I enable it?

Btw, my distro switched to xorg 1.7 in the meantime, are there
experiences with xf86-video-displaylink? Will fbdev work?

Bye
Christoph