[Libdlo] Recompile the KERNEL...?!!

Sören Andersen somian08 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:47:17 PST 2010

Hello, and good day.

This message is not a flame.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM, James wrote:
> Guys:

> Okay -- You are saying that I NEED TO RECOMPILE my kernel to use the newest
> DisplayLink driver -- correct?
> I hope that you aren't seriously expecting that the average
> end-user is going to recompile Kernels. Most people don't even
> know how to use git-core...
> I'm just having one heck of a time understanding what is going on
> here. Some really super-ultra-basic help here would be great.

> - James

I'm just a dabbler in GNU/Linux but I know that, historically,
people compile their own kernels. I run some kernels that I've
compiled and some that were provided for me by distro packagers.
Those are the workers -- contributors -- who are going to provide
whatever is needed to organized GNU/Linux distribution users (e.g.
Ubuntu, Debian, CrunchBang, Fedora, Mandriva, etc). If one is
worried about making things more smooth for other people, then
becoming a contributor who builds packaged kernels and LKMs for
one's OS/distro is a productive, positive avenue to act on that
concern.

This message is not a flame.

Berating -- even just adopting a slightly berating kind of tone --
towards the creative souls who are bringing Libdlo forward they way
is being accomplished right now, is not positive or productive. It's
a waste of time for those people to read this sort of stuff.

This message is not a flame.

As someone watching the action from the sidelines here, I have a
traditional right to make my voice heard in response to another
user. Take it is a flame if that works for you, hey. No skin off my
duck.

--
"All unaccompanied children will be given espresso and a free kitten."