[Libdlo] Tips for setting up displaylink with Xinerama

Bernie Thompson bernie at plugable.com
Wed Jan 13 14:20:33 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Christoph Rissner <c.r at visotech.at> wrote:

> I pulled the latest version, but being a git noob I'm not sure about
> that, is a "git pull" sufficient?

Yep. And the output you copied shows you had the latest.

I found the sysfs file in a different path, is that ok?

> # find /sys/ -name "*edid*"
> /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-5/graphics/fb1/edid
> # cat `find /sys/ -name "*edid*"`
> #
>
> There is no output, I guess that's what Bernie expected.

I'm surprised there's no /sys/class/graphics tree (some of my other scripts,
e.g. performance monitoring, assume it).  I know sysfs is a loose contract,
but hopefully that'll be in a standardized place in the future. But I'm
assuming the edid file was mapped properly (cat metrics_misc and other
udlfb-specific sysfs files in the same directory to confirm that's really a
directory mapped to the udlfb driver).

So I'm at a loss for your particular problem.  For all the combinations of
DisplayLink devices and monitors I have, I'm getting a proper EDID back.
Now, there are valid scenarios where you won't (e.g. monitors with no edid),
but this isn't one of them.

One thing I'd check - you said EDID read appeared to be working on Windows,
but wasn't sure -- can you check the display control panel, and see if it's
offering you modes that are greater than the monitor's capabilities -- that
would be a sign that edid is not getting returned there, either.

Perhaps if someone else is seeing a problem, then can add to the datapoints?

Thanks,
Bernie
Thinking of Haiti today