[Libdlo] EDID and dynamic modset issues

Todd Grayson toddgrayson at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 12:45:06 PST 2010

Bernie,

Thank-you for the quick response.

Here is some additional information:

When connecting and disconnecting monitors while the Displaylink device is still connected the framebuffer size, refresh rate/timings, and resolution remain the same.

When disconnecting the Displaylink device then changing monitors and reconnecting the Displaylink device the resolution, framebuffer size, and refresh rate/timings change to match the monitor's preferred mode.

As a note, initially I was testing using a DVI to VGA adapter (supplied with the device) which seemed to cause the probe() function to obtain incorrect information about the monitor's preferred mode. When switching to use the default DVI connection instead of the DVI to VGA adapter probe() correctly obtained the monitor's preferred mode and set everything correctly.

What we are trying to do is to be able to force the desired resolution and refresh rate using fbset in those instances where probe() does not obtain the correct information (in many cases our monitors only have VGA connections) or in cases where we require different supported resolutions. (ie. when using a CRT monitor).

Todd