[Libdlo] displaylink + ubuntu 9.10 + xorg

Andrew Magee amagee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:38:12 PST 2010

I've tried for a day or so to get my displaylink device (a Toshiba
Dynadock U) working in X in Ubuntu 9.10, but no luck so far.

I've had no trouble getting the green screen up, but depending on what
I've tried, X either ignores the displaylink monitor, or hangs on
startup.  It ignores the monitor when I use the
udflb-0.2.3_and_xf86-video-displaylink-0.3.tar.gz, and hangs when i
install the "DisplayLink framebuffer driver" and "DisplayLink X
Server" as described at
http://plugable.com/2009/11/16/setting-up-usb-multiseat-with-displaylink-on-linux-gdm-up-to-2-20/.

I have an intel graphics card.

Unfortunately I've formatted the machine so I don't have my exact
xorg.conf, but I wrote it using
http://mulchman.org/blog/?tag=displaylink as a guide.  When I checked
Xorg.0.log, I couldn't find anything particularly interesting
regarding the displaylink, except to say that it had started and
stopped.

Also, 'make check' on libdlo worked correctly.

I could go through and try this again, but some of the reading I've
been doing on the mailing list has suggested that I won't be
successful without recompiling my kernel.  Is this correct?  Am I
likely to get reasonable results if I go down this path (I just want
to extend my desktop onto the USB monitor)?  Or should I wait until
the project is more established?  Does anyone have any hints on the
easiest way to get this working in Ubuntu 9.10?  I'm a reasonably
experienced linux user and don't mind fiddling.  I've never compiled a
kernel before but I'm happy to learn if I can be reasonably confident
I'll get this working.

Thanks for any advice.

Magee.