[Libdlo] xorg 1.9 crash

Christoph Rissner c.r at visotech.at
Wed Oct 13 01:44:42 PDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 10:12 AM, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Dear Christoph,
>
> On 12-10-10 10:18, Christoph Rissner wrote:
>>> One thing to try: run the standard "fbdev" xorg driver with the damage
>>> support patch. It's more in sync with the xorg codebase than the older
>>> "displaylink" xorg driver is. Instructions are at the bottom of this
>>> post: http://plugable.com/2010/05/21/linux-support-for-higher-res-monitors-on-lower-res-displaylink-devices/
>>
>> After merging your damage patch into the current fbdev repo, the driver
>> works on its own (which is good), but not together with the nvidia one.
>> Depending on the screen order in xorg.conf there is either the
>> displaylink screen or the nvidia screen working, but not both.
>>
>> I played around with my xorg.conf but had no success so far.
>> I see two possible solutions:
>> 1.) fbdev will eventually work with nvidia (173xx) drivers
>> 2.) fbdev can drive my nvidia card (providing Xinerama or Xrandr)
>>
>> I think the latter one is more promising, lets see what google can tell
>> me. Maybe its just the mysterious BusID option ...
>
> Try to use the displaylink driver instead of the fbdev and make it the
> first device in the serverlayout also disable Xinerama and see if this
> makes a difference.

I still run the displaylink driver with xorg 1.8, but with 1.9 it
crashes (at least with Xinerama enabled) as soon as I move a window.

AFAIK (and as you've posted in another thread) XRandR isn't yet
supported, so I'm stuck with Xinerama. I'm so used to dragging windows
across all of my screens, I definitly don't want to loose that.

I don't know what it means to implement XRandR, I can't even tell
whether it would work with udlfb + fbdev. What parts need to be touched
to implement XRandR? Is it sufficient to use fbdev instead of
displaylink to have XRandR support?

I think I've read somewhere that even XRandR 1.3 isn't up to multi GPU
environments, so I guess Xinerama is the only option here.
I have to admit, there are some drawbacks as Xinerama support slowly
fades out of various tools and libs, I recently had to patch gtk2 libs
for that reason.

Bye,
Christoph