[Libdlo] running 2 instances of X for multihead display

Marcus Becker marcus.disi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 13:38:08 PDT 2011

Just reading here about your version of Ubuntu:
What about the graphics drivers still in X?

Graphics drivers such as Intel, Nouveau, and Radeon include both
kernel drivers and an X driver. With Wayland we only needs the kernel
drivers. Under the KMS/DRM/GEM architecture, that's where most of the
real functionality is, such as modesetting, memory management, and
graphics rendering. The remaining bits on the X side of things is used
just to interface with the X server and aren't needed by Wayland.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland

Can Wayland be used with the closed source proprietary graphics drivers?

No, not at this time. fglrx, nvidia, psb, and other closed source
drivers are developed externally to X.org and externally to Ubuntu. As
far as we know, work to update them to conform to the new KMS/GEM/etc.
architecture is not planned (at least, not publicly) and would need to
be done before they could be used under Wayland.

So can you run any other x11-drivers like nvidia or fglrx? If yes,
then you are still on xorg-server.
The wayland server might be more for experimental and testing users at
the moment...