[Libdlo] DisplayLink WS Tech USB-DVI - Ubuntu 11.04 x86_64

Uigingigh uigingigh at fastmail.fm
Thu May 19 03:20:07 PDT 2011

Hi,

Ubuntu 11.04 x86_64, kernel 2.6.38-9 generic.
DisplayLink WS Tech USB-DVI

dmesg: extract
DisplayLink USB device /dev/fb0 attached. 1280x768 resolution. Using
3840K framebuffer memory
usbcore: registered new interface driver udlfb

Xorg -configure detected all 3 monitors, internal laptop, DisplayLink
and external vga in that order and created an xorg.conf.new file which I
copied to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The is using the open source driver radeon
for the laptop monitor, fbdev for the DisplayLink monitor and vesa for
the external vga monitor.

Added:
Option "Xinerama" "0"

ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers"
ModulePath "/usr/local/lib"

lsusb shows which I understand to be the DisplayLink device.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 17e9:0198 Newnham Research

I get a green screen on the DisplayLink monitor but only the laptop and
the eternal vga monitor work.

Note:
libusb-dev was installed from the Ubuntu repository as was
xserver-xorg-video-displaylink.

/etc/gdm/Init/Default
XRANDR=`gdmwhich xrandr`
if [ "x$XRANDR" != "x" ] ; then
$XRANDR -o 0
fi

libdlo
./configure && sudo make install && make check
This works, I get the graphics output on the DisplayLink montor.
I then ran
./configure && sudo make install && make

I reboot Ubuntu, I still only get the internal and external monitor and
the DisplayLink device remains green. With the external vga monitor
unplugged, I was able to get Ubuntu 10.10 in recovery mode to run a
terminal and in low resolution use the DisplayLink device, it defaulted
to being the primary the (only) monitor and I got no output from the
laptop's internal monitor. Having had the DisplayLink device for 3 years
now and being able to use all three monitors in Windows 7, I would now
like to do the same in Ubuntu, as this has been my default OS since
Ubuntu 8.04. Any ideas?

Update:-

I copied the xorg.conf file that Xorg had generated to
usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf. I edited the file by changing
the order in the DEVICE section of the file so that DisplayLink was
first, radeon was second and vesa third, I checked that the other
sections reflected this change. I restarted Ubuntu. I made some progress
in that I got three monitors, the DisplayLink one was purple, the other
two had the Ubuntu background. The GDM logon was not available. The
mouse was active on the DisplayLink monitor or on the other two
together. I was unable to progress further and I could not get a
terminal login.

I already posted this on the Ububtu forums, I got 80 views and no
suggestions.

My ultimate question I suppose is am I expecting too much at this stage
from the above DisplayLink device?

Many thanks.