MBIM service for GPS?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Nov 12 06:42:18 PST 2013

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at lanedo.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> Does anyone know if any manufacturer already defined an MBIM service to
> gather GPS information from WWAN modules?

I haven't seen any device with direct access, which is kind of
surprising.  Providing NMEA messages in a Device Service Stream should
be pretty simple to implement. Maybe Windows doesn't support this?

We do :-)  Although the setup is somewhat complicated, feeding a DSS to
gpsd should be pretty straight forward.

You can access the QMI PDS service on Qualcomm MBIM firmwares using the
QMUX MBIM service. But that's pretty backwards.  Don't know if you can
receive periodic notifications, like you normally can in QMI PDS.

Now, there aren't really any reason why the vendors should drop the
NMEA serial functions just because they implement MBIM.  And AFAIK,
Ericsson haven't.  The H5321gw has all the WDM and ACM ports it always
had, including the NMEA port. They've only added MBIM to the NCM
function.

I see no real reason why other vendors shouldn't do the same. It's not
like they are going to run out of USB endpoints anytime soon.

Bjørn