DWM 156 A7 reading SMS
younes.m at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 05:33:49 PDT 2014
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Aleksander Morgado
<aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Younes Manton <younes.m at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Aleksander Morgado
>> <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>>> >> I did not realize that SMSes are not
>>> >> stored on the modem itself, or perhaps they are but in a way not
>>> >> visible on
>>> >> the Linux side, since the D-Link app has 2 separate SMS stores: "Local"
>>> >> and
>>> >> "DataCard".
>>> > That is probably an MBIM specific ModemManager MBIM bug?
>>> > The messages are stored on the modem, but it doesn't seem like MM will
>>> > retrieve the list of already stored messages on discovery like it does
>>> > for e.g. QMI modems.
>>> The logic is there; so there has to be some error somewhere...
>>> Younes, can you run MM with debug logs to see what's happening?
>> I was too optimistic earlier, I still can't seem to consistently receive
>> SMSes. The SMSes I'm interested in are from the service provider and they
>> don't seem to show up without some voodoo before hand. Not sure what I did
>> earlier to receive one successfully, possibly it has to do with repeating
>> Bjørn's test.
>> Anyhow, I grabbed some logs while starting NM and MM, checking to see that
>> most of the expected SMSes that I see in Windows are not there in nmclli and
>> NM GUI, and I went through the service provider's website and triggered an
>> SMS to me, which was also not received. If that's not enough let me know
>> what else you would like to see.
>> Logs at http://goo.gl/bpF2El
> Don't see any new SMS notification in the log. Please try without
> involving NetworkManager at all; i.e. don't launch a connection in the
> modem, and play only with mmcli:
> First, run MM with --debug; then plug in modem; then, if needed, unlock SIM-PIN:
> $ sudo mmcli -i 0 --pin=XXXX
> Enable modem
> $ sudo mmcli -m 0 -e
> Check that the modem is registered to the network; so run the basic
> status command and look for "status: registered". If not yet
> registered, wait a bit and retry until it's registered.
> $ sudo mmcli -m 0
> (now send the SMS to the modem)
> Run the SMS listing command several times:
> $ sudo mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms
I did the above, no luck, MM log is completely quiet when the SMS is
supposed to come in. On a hunch I booted into Windows, confirmed that
I had a bunch of unread test messages from before, then returned to
Linux and tried your steps again and sure enough I recieved the SMS
this time. While in Linux I restarted NM and MM and the SMS I received
(in Linux) was no longer visible to mmcli, though I didn't have
debugging enabled that time. Modem remained plugged in and powered the
entire time. I can always go back and try that part again, though
maybe Bjørn's logs already show that problem.
mm debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7652785/
mmcli log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7652791/
mm debug log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7652795/
mmcli log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7652806/
More information about the libmbim-devel