Telit LN930

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Nov 28 01:41:53 PST 2014

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:

>   idVendor           0x8087 Intel Corp.
>   idProduct          0x0911
>   bcdDevice           17.29
>   iManufacturer           1 VENDOR
>   iProduct                2 PRODUCT

Looks like Telit don't do unnecessary changes to the Intel firmware or
NVRAM defaults ;-)

>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
>       bInterfaceSubClass     13
>       bInterfaceProtocol      0
>       iInterface              5 CDC NCM/MBIM (NCM)
>       CDC Header:
>         bcdCDC               1.20
>       CDC Union:
>         bMasterInterface        0
>         bSlaveInterface         1
>       CDC NCM:
>         bcdNcmVersion        1.00
>         bmNetworkCapabilities 0x00
>       CDC Ethernet:
>         iMacAddress                      6 FFFFFFFFFFFF

Nice.  Thanks.  So this modem has exactly the same odd NCM/MBIM
backwards compatible function as the Sierra Wireless EM7345, including
the invalid MAC address.  But that might be a string they were supposed
to modify, just like the 'VENDOR' and 'PRODUCT' strings.  Interesting
though that both Sierra and Telit failed to do so.

My guess is that these two XMM7160 devices have mostly identical
feature/bug sets.  Looks like we can blame it all on Intel then.  They
could at least have put in some code that made the NCM alternate setting
blow up or go away without a valid MAC address.  It's obvious that the
vendors don't care about NCM.

I am really, really sorry about recommending distros like Debian and
Redhat to prefer NCM.  It seemed like the safe and tested code path at
that time, when the only NCM/MBIM devices I knew of were the Ericsson
modems.  Now we have a whole set of new modems here which are just going
to fail because of this.  Arrrggh!

Bjørn