ERROR: mbim message timeout - (using umbim on OpenWRT)

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Thu Mar 12 03:03:29 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Peter Gerten
<peter.gerten at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Aleksander Morgado
> <aleksander at aleksander.es> wrote:
>>

>> umbim isn't based on libmbim, so this is not the proper place to ask.
>> You should ask in the openwrt mailing list, as they are the ones who
>> wrote it.
>>
> thanks for the info, I was not aware of that.
>

>> Anyway, maybe someone reading this mailing list may help?
>>
>> > All of the modem work fine on Ubuntu 14.04 with ModemManager.
>>
>> Well, then that's good news for libmbim :)
>>
> Although the ModemManager mysteriously work (I use the nm-aplet UI in
> Ubuntu), I could reproduce a behavior similar to umbim with mbimcli:
>
> peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Device capabilities retrieved:
>           Device type: 'embedded'
>        Cellular class: 'gsm'
>           Voice class: 'embedded'
>             Sim class: 'removable'
>            Data class: 'gprs, edge, umts, hsdpa, hsupa, custom'
>              SMS caps: 'pdu-receive, pdu-send'
>             Ctrl caps: 'reg-manual, hw-radio-switch'
>          Max sessions: '8'
>     Custom data class: 'HSPA+'
>             Device ID: '862595020074379'
>         Firmware info: '11.350.16.17.00'
>         Hardware info: 'ML1ME936M'
>
> peter at x240:~$ sudo mbimcli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1 --query-device-caps
> error: operation failed: Transaction timed out
>
> Again, the is difficult for me to reproduce as I can sometimes call it
> several times in a row without timeout. This happens with mbimcli 1.6.0 (as
> shipped with Ubuntu 14.04) as well as with mbimcli 1.13.0 which I just built
> from the latest sources on the git repository.

If you want to run mbimcli at the same time as ModemManager uses the
MBIM port, then you need to run mbimcli with the --device-open-proxy
(or short, '-p'), so that it uses the MBIM Proxy setup in libmbim to
share the MBIM port (available since libmbim 1.10.0 and MM 1.4).

If you're stuck with libmbim 1.6 or MM < 1.4, then MM will still work,
but you won't be able to run mbimcli commands at the same time.

In the case of umbim, you can only run one umbim process at any given
time, or they will fight for the same port. The transaction timeout
may be because umbim isn't getting a response message and it times
out, or because another umbim process is around taking care of the
message receptions.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es