ERROR: mbim message timeout - (using umbim on OpenWRT)

Peter Gerten peter.gerten at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:55:25 PDT 2015

Hi Bjørn,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
>
> > If you're stuck with libmbim 1.6 or MM < 1.4, then MM will still work,
> > but you won't be able to run mbimcli commands at the same time.
> >
> > In the case of umbim, you can only run one umbim process at any given
> > time, or they will fight for the same port. The transaction timeout
> > may be because umbim isn't getting a response message and it times
> > out, or because another umbim process is around taking care of the
> > message receptions.
>
> I believe there are too many things to fix in umbim at the time being
> for us to guess exactly which bug is causing this behaviour.  One
> obvious one, which might cause such problems, is the static
> MBIM_BUFFER_SIZE (at least looking at the 2014-12-10 umbim version,
> which seems to be the default in current OpenWRT trunk). I am sure there
> are other bugs too.
>
> The umbim package looks like a good start, but it is not nearly as
> mature as libmbim yet. umbim is currently in a state where it probably
> works on some specific modems, but it needs more work to generalize it
> for any MBIM modem. Like using the modem specified buffer size.

I will look into the buffer size issue. When I sometimes get "lucky" and
actually do not get timeouts, the connection is established but I don't get
an IP configuration. As the umbim scripts use a dhcp client which does not
seem to work with many mbim modems.

There is actually code for MBIM_CID_IP_CONFIGURATION in the umbim source
but it is not used in the connection script. I tried to add it and it gets
DNS and gateway configuration right, but the IP address if wrong (I only
tested ipv4 configuration, nor sure if ipv6 works).

I would actually love to use mbimcli instead of umbim on OpenWRT but
currently do not know an easy way on how to do that.

I noticed Aleksander's blog post about a version with integrated
ModemManager - unfortunately it seems to be very outdated now (
https://sigquit.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/modemmanager-and-latest-udev-in-openwrt/
).

Regards

Peter