Trying (failing) to get my modem to work

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Mar 30 07:34:29 PDT 2015

FWIW, I'm also normally in the duct tape club. And I'm going to claim the ability to connect an MBIM modem using nothing but duct tape (the perl variant). But I'm using modem manager for my everyday needs. It's a nice utility, leaving more than enough control while still holding your hand when you need that.

But you don't need to go for the full network manager experience if you don't want to. Use mmcli to manage MM.

Using scripting tools may cause some unnecessary problems because of the way the cdc_mbim driver is implemented. All urbs are killed every time you close the cdc-wdm character device. Some devices don't like this, and can come out of sync with userspace. The protocol is really made for a management application.

Bjørn