DHCP timed out after mbim-network successfull connection

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon May 4 08:42:38 PDT 2015

Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> writes:

>> And my wwan1 interface should wake up and obtain its ip by my ISP
>> through DHCP. Let's see what's happens instead...
>
> MBIM modems don't always support DHCP in the firmware; perhaps the
> Olicard one doesn't?  There are some references out there indicating
> that DHCP may not work on this device.  Instead, you'd have to use the
> mbimcli to read the IP address from the firmware and assign it and the
> routing manually.

This is an indication that the Olicard is based on a Mediatek
chip/firmware (mbimcli --query-device-caps might confirm that):

 > S:  Product=MT6225

And the other Mediatek MBIM firmware I've seen (the D-Link DWM-156 A7)
does indeed not support DHCP.

It would be nice if the mbimcli based howtos out there didn't recommend
DHCP...  There is a reason ModemManager doesn't use DHCP for MBIM
modems.

Bjørn