FCC authentication with QMI over MBIM; try 1 -- Logs

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Jul 6 12:20:21 UTC 2016

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:
>
>> On to the other good(?) news: Looks like my work companion for the last
>> 7.5 years, the trustworthy x301, has entered its final life phase.  The
>> CPU fan suddenly starting making a lot of noise. It has done that
>> before, but this time it's different - cleaning doesn't help. I went
>> over to the IT guys asking if they had an x301 I could kill for parts.
>> They just smiled and sent me to the "recycle dumpster".  That didn't
>> help much.  Lots of fun IT history there, but no Thinkpad parts.
>>
>> Well, to make a long story a bit shorter: This might be good news for
>> you all because it means that I'll replace the x301 with a more modern
>> Thinkpad.  One with an EM7455.
>
> Don't lie, you broke it on purpose to get a new laptop, we all know it ;)

Right :)

The timing could be better, though.  I didn't need to spend a day trying
to get my system back up running.  Migrating all those tiny tweaks that
have accumulated over 7 years takes a lot of time...

But I've got networking and email working now at least.  And the EM7455
works perfect.  I added the cdc_ncm patch and the qmi-over-mbim branches
of libqmi, libmbim and MM (not the latest release yet), and it just
worked. But I still cannot get more than ~130 Mbps dl, which is annoying.
I certainly hope that isn't a driver issue.

FWIW, I enabled the DM, NMEA and AT functions without any complaints
from the BIOS, using QMI-over-MBIM and the Sierra vendor specific
"USBCOMP" QMI requests.  I haven't dared playing with QMI functions yet,
because I certainly don't have time to dismantle this thing.  I am
supposed to use it for something slightly work related ;)

I know I should have used this opportunity to snoop on the Windows
drivers too.  Sorry, I needed the space, and I needed a functional Linux
laptop fast. So Windows is gone.

Bjørn