How to use an EM7455 to see all networks and bands available

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Sep 27 18:21:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 14:14 -0400, eRAGON wrote:
> OK, thanks. Since I'm in a little valley dip, I wanted to find out
> which
> carrier was best suited to go with. Is just changing the APN enough
> register or it requires a SIM for each carriers' network?

It requires a SIM for each carrier, unfortunately, to register with the
network and figure out which bands the carrier is on.  You might be
able to use deactivated SIMs to at least figure out the signal
strength.

One thing you could try is to restrict the device to specific bands,
then perform a scan, then restrict to a different band, scan, etc until
you run out of bands.  However, that's somewhat error prone and I've
effectively bricked modems that way before.  But this still doesn't
tell you signal strength.

In short, there isn't a great way to do this without special equipment.

Dan