mbimcli session disconnects every 2h

Aleksander Morgado aleksandermj at chromium.org
Tue Sep 27 17:13:18 UTC 2022

Hey,

> I am using the following:
> 1. EM9191 modem (5NR/LTE).
> 2. Centos 7.8, kernel 4.19.128 aarch64 architecture.
> 3. mbimcli 1.14.2 (Copyright (2013-2014) Aleksander Morgado)
>
> I have encountered the next disconnection issue :
>
> 1. Connect by running the mbimcli commands manually (added them in the end of the post), fetch the ip,dns and etc info and set the wwan0 interface manually in linux:
> ip address add X.X.X.X/30 dev wwan0
> ip link set dev wwan0 up
> ip route add default dev wwan0
>
> [root at localhost /]# mbimcli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --query-connection-state
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Connection status:
>               Session ID: '0'
>         Activation state: 'activated'
>         Voice call state: 'none'
>                  IP type: 'ipv4'
>             Context type: 'internet'
>            Network error: 'unknown'
> [root at localhost /]#
>
> 2. Run pings test to google and see that everything is fine.
>
> 3. After roughly 6-7K of pings, (around 1.5-2 hours) the pings reply response is missing, the communication is lost.
> The connection state says 'deactivated':
>  [root at localhost /]# mbimcli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --query-connection-state
> [/dev/cdc-wdm0] Connection status:
>               Session ID: '0'
>         Activation state: 'deactivated'
>         Voice call state: 'none'
>                  IP type: 'default'
>             Context type: 'none'
>            Network error: 'unknown'
> [root at localhost /]#
>

> What could possibly be the reason for such behavior?
> Tested it on 2 EM9191 modems,different SIM providers, same result.

These look like network-initiated disconnections, they are pretty
common. Users would need to detect that and trigger a reconnection.

mbimcli doesn't manually reconnect anything, you would need to detect
the disconnection and trigger the reconnection. Or use
ModemManager+NetworkManager instead of managing the connectivity by
hand :)

--
Aleksander