[Liboil] GPL code in liboil?

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Sun Nov 13 02:14:33 PST 2005

Stephane Fillod wrote:
> Dave, would you reconsider the liboil licensing, or at least make it
> mix-licensed for some optional LGPL-like parts of it?

Personally I'd be a bit concerned about optional LGPL parts
(less concerned if they were packaged separately); I can see
them encouraging big holes to appear in the liberal-licensed
side of liboil where:

1) people would be scared of accidentally making identical or
near-identical implementations to the LGPL parts and then having
people call foul (this is what I'd be most scared of, considering
the relative simplicity of the sorts of routines being talked
about).

2) people would consider it too rediculous a thing to have
two sets of implementations, one viral and one liberal.

--Adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org