[Liboil] oil_multiply_f32 and friends

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Wed Nov 16 12:24:57 PST 2005

Hi there!

Thinking that simple math vectorisation functions like
oil_multiply_f32 would be liboil's bread and butter, I
was surprised to find that there are only two implementations
of this function including the ref, both in vanilla C.  This
probably helps to make the oil'd 'taylor' example several times
slower than the straightforward C implementation (I guess this
example exists as a real-worldy optimization target for future work),
though it is its potential use in vector numbercrunching like this
that attracted me to liboil initially.

Have I somehow miscompiled and missed the 3dnow/sse
implementations, are these classes simply waiting for simple
SIMD-ish love to be applied in the future, or are the
prototypes misdesigned for optimal use (i.e. too much alignment
freedom) and due to be overhauled?

Cheers,
--Adam