[Liboil] Why every process to execute oil_init?

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Aug 22 19:18:40 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:17:00AM +0800, littertiger wrote:
> On my arm9, oil_init takes about 20s. It seems testing implements
> wast a lot of time. Why does every process have to do the same thing?
> I think testing implements be executed only one time per cpu.

I've tried to keep it under a millisecond on typical desktop
processors, so I'm a bit surprised at 20 seconds.  It's possible
that if floating point code is emulated in software on your CPU
(likely), that it could take that long.

In any case, the current strategy is insufficient for slower CPUs,
but nobody has gotten around to fixing it.  The obvious solution is
to cache results from one run to the next.

For embedded projects, it makes most sense to generate the list of
optimal implementations, and then compiling liboil only with those
implementations.  This is sort of possible right now, just not
automated.

dave...