[Liboil] [announce] oil-0.1.0

cee1 fykcee1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 05:43:59 PDT 2009

2009/8/24 Adam D. Moss <aspirin at ntlworld.com>

> cee1 wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm doing a fork (rewrite) of liboil. It resides
> > at http://dev.lemote.com/code/oil
>
> Personally I like the goals of this project, especially
> for embeddors.
>
> But I have two reservations...
> * The name implies that oil is a front-end to liboil (a la curl and
> libcurl).  I think this is a confusing name.

oil (module oiltest) can be used to construct a test tool, so it may be
thought of as something in the toolchain, not just a library, hence it's
named "oil" -- strip the prefix "lib" from "liboil".

> * liboil itself seems somewhat deprecated in favour of liborc; I guess
> this makes a fork seem wiser than it usually would, but liboil is
> probably slipping into unmaintainedness and perhaps it would be
> a fine idea to advocate for liborc meeting your needs rather than
> adapting liboil?

ORC concerns how to define a higher level assembly code and translate it to
native assembly code for each architecture. (dave, am I right ?)

ORC can also be thought as something in the toolchain. A "complier" (ORC)
plus a "test tool" (oil), I don't think there is any overlap between ORC and
oil.