Getting the network interface working on ZTE K3570 etc

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 08:37:11 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 18:13 +0100, Andrew Bird (Sphere Systems) wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm new to this list but I recently sent some patches to the kernel devs
> following on from the qmi-wwan work that was recently done. I'm looking to get
> to the point where ZTE based mobile broadband sticks(and others) can be
> connected using the network interface rather than using pppd. Is that a goal
> shared by the libqmi people too? Ideally for me the library would be usable
> from both Modem Manager and perhaps Wader eventually via python bindings.
> I've been looking at the repo at git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libqmi.git and
> wondered if that was the best place to try out the bleeding edge stuff? I've
> played with the sample qmitest.c program and managed to get sensible data for
> signal strength etc, but no MEID since my devices are all UMTS. I see several
> directories in the repo that appear to have reference material, but only
> really the qmitest.c that looks like it's home grown. Am I seeing the very
> early start of libqmi, or is there somewhere else I should look?

Some of the recent Huawei and ZTE devices don't actually need  QMI for
that, they sometimes have custom AT commands that activate the net
interface.  If the device also supports QMI, there will be two
possibilities:

1) it has a composite QMI/rmnet USB interface for use with cdc-wdm and
qmi_wwan

2) ZTE added a more-standards-compliant USB ethernet interface that gets
activated using AT commands

I've seen examples of both. If you have the Windows drivers somewhere,
that would probably have some clues.

Dan