Maximum QMI request size?

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Mon Aug 20 01:56:29 PDT 2012

>>> The weirdest TLV I've seen for now related to length is the "Preferred
>>> Roaming List" (0x13) in the "DMS/Activate Manual" message. This TLV
>>> allows a buffer of binary data of up to 16384 bytes, *but* the buffer
>>> may be split into different segments of shorter sizes and sent over
>>> multiple QMI messages. It doesn't answer any question I think :-)
>>
>> Very useful!  I believe the fact that this is documented as max 16384
>> *and* have fragmentation support indicates that the maximum QMI message
>> is smaller than 16384.
>>
>> Note that this fragmented TLV with sequence numbers is similar to the
>> PDS XTRA database upload TLV, which does not have a documented maximum
>> except that the total size must fit in an u16 field.  The current
>> database is 60831 bytes, so the real life value is getting close to this.
>>
>> I will run a couple of tests on these requests with a large buffer, to
>> see when I get "segment too long" errors with the devices I have.
>
> Oh, this is obviously for some other type of device?  I get
>  eQMI_ERR_OP_DEVICE_UNSUPPORTED
>
> Do you have a device supporting this command?  Could you try to find out
> what the largest supported chunk is?  Unless the command is harful, of
> course... I don't understand exactly what it is intended for.

The command is for CDMA devices; which need to get activated, either via
OTA settings (Automatic Activation) or manually through the input of all
required parameters (Manual Activation). I have a CDMA device around,
but didn't hack the support for that specific TLV yet in libqmi. Do you
have a tester program to use?