Transaction timing out on 586 embedded CPU

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Dec 4 07:16:50 PST 2012

Kai Scharwies <kai at scharwies.de> writes:

> Neither the patch from Aleksander, nor increasing the timeout is successful.
> This is before increasing the timeout:
>
> root at MeshUnit13:~# time qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-ids
> error: operation failed: Transaction timed out
>
> real	0m10.692s
> user	0m0.020s
> sys	0m0.020s
>
> And this is after changing it to 25 seconds:
>
> root at MeshUnit13:~# time qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-get-ids
> error: operation failed: Transaction timed out
>
> real	0m25.771s
> user	0m0.020s
> sys	0m0.020s

Yes, 10 seconds should be more than enough for those commands.

> It doesn't seem another process is accessing /dev/cdc-acm0:
>
> root at MeshUnit13:~/lte/libqmi-1.0.0# lsof | grep cdc
> qmicli    25861             root    4u      CHR    180,176      0t0
>   16228 /dev/cdc-wdm0
> pool      25861 25862       root    4u      CHR    180,176      0t0
>   16228 /dev/cdc-wdm0

So much for that theory.

> Very strange...

Yes.  Could you use usbmon to try to see if there are anything data
received from the device after the last write, or if it just stops
responding?

What libqmi does looks fine to me, so I guess the problem must be
somewhere between the character device and the modem. But I really don't
know where to start looking.