Odd QMI devices - ZTE MF60

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Thu Jul 5 00:50:45 PDT 2012

> Hope this info is useful.  I am currently wondering if maybe the "set
> instance id" is a missing magic command, explaining some of the firmware
> crashes we see.  If so, then it should probably be included somewhere in
> the connection setup.

I pushed a new 'instance-id' branch to the upstream libqmi repo at fd.o

The instance ID is specified in qmi_device_new(), and can be configured
to be sent to the device when passing QMI_DEVICE_OPEN_FLAGS_INSTANCE_ID
in qmi_device_open().

I wonder if it's really worth to require passing an instance id in
qmi_device_new(), or if we should just use '0' always, given that we
don't know what it's for :-)

If you want to give it a try, qmicli now supports it as well, e.g.:
$> sudo qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 \
               --device-open-instance-id=5 \
               --dms-get-manufacturer \
               --verbose