Wireshark Dissector for QMI Protocol

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue May 15 01:12:12 PDT 2012

Ilya Voronin <ivoronin at gmail.com> writes:

> I was playing with QMI-capable devices a lot the last few days and
> created a dissector for Wireshark,
> that helps me to monitor Windows-based connection manager running in
> VirtualBox and my own app.
> I'm sure you will find it useful too: https://gist.github.com/2641557

I'm sure I will.  That's really nice.  Great idea!

For anyone not having looked at this yet: Ilya uses the existing usbmon
capabilities of wireshark, so this dissector can be used regardless of
how you communicate with your QMI device. cdc-wdm, qcqmi (Gobi driver),
or virtual machine passthrough - anything can be snooped.

Would be even nicer though if there was some way to (semi-)automatically
generate the message and TLV tables from existing data in e.g. libqmi,
to avoid having yet another place where these must be entered
manually...