libqmi-glib

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu May 17 03:17:57 PDT 2012

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at lanedo.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure I fully get why libusb would be a good thing to have when
>detecting a QMI device. Is it just to completely avoid any kernel
>driver
>handling the device and talking directly to it with raw USB transfers?

Yes. It is completely useless for already supported devices.

But verifying new devices is currently a lot of hassle due to missing support for new_id in qmi_wwan (generic problem with usbnet drivers), and the strict probe in cdc-wdm (will refuse any interface with more than 1 endpoint). A libusb based tool allow users to quickly test all interfaces on a new and unsupported device without having to patch and build a new driver first, but that is all it is useful for.  So it might not be anything for libqmi-glib. The perl script will do after some refinement.

Getting proper new_id support in qmi_wwan would be a better solution, and would probably benefit other usbnet drivers too. But I still have not found an acceptable solution to that problem.