Huawei E173 12d1:1446 alias 12d1:1436 alias 12d1:140c

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Sun Nov 25 04:54:42 PST 2012

Am Sonntag, 25. November 2012, 12:35:39 schrieben Sie:
> Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer at t-online.de> writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know the huawei E173 is not the newest modem and it is already
> > supported by linux - at least in modem/ppp-mode. Also the E173 seems to
> > have a lot of different brandings.I talk here about the O2-Version in
> > Germany (telefonica ).
> >
> > Here was a discussion about the correct targetID/device-mode:
> >               http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?
> >               t=657
> >
> > At this time there was no qmi_wwan module available.
> > There were only some contradictions between the recommendation from
> > huawei for linux and the practice in the windows-driver.
> >
> > Now we have qmi_wwan and it works in one point better than the cdc_ether.
> >
> > While the cdc_ether -mode (with ID 12d1:1436) has a bug with the
> > mac-address, the qmi_wwan-interface works as expected.
>
> I believe this is because you use different firmware modes for cdc_ether
> and qmi_wwan, don't you?

cdc_ether works as device 12d1:1436 (automatic)
qmi_wwan works as device 12d1:140c (via echo new_id )

The difference is caused by the "right" usb-switch-message for 12d1:1446.

Windows works with  12d1:140c-mode. Depending on the dialer ( my windows
notebook has a lot of them in the meantime) windows uses the networkcard(dhcp)
or the modem(ppp). But the device-mode is in all cases 12d1:140c

In  12d1:140c-mode  cdc_ether does not catch.

> IMHO, this device should be handled by qmi_wwan so that the QMI channel
> is made available to userspace.  If I understand correctly, the "Windows
> mode" is currently not handled by any driver so that can just be added
> with no bad effects?

It is not automatically  handled by any wwan driver at the moment, but option
grabs serial devices.
But as long the database of usb-mode-switch is not changed, it will have no
effect.

When changing the database (default mode from 1436 to 140c like windows  ) it
could have effects to option-drivers too. (the order and count of the serial
devices)

>  So the alternative for this particular device would be
> to change just the usb_modeswitch defaults.

That is the question.

> And I don't know if that is too wise, either.  It is an old device and
> most users will probably "know how it works" and be rightfully annoyed
> if we change any default behaviour.  And Huawei, like many other modem
> vendors, tend to reuse their product IDs for lots of very different
> devices. So verifying that such a change doesn't break anything is next
> to impossible.
>
> The best we can do is probably
> - add the "windows mode" to qmi_wwan

This could be done without side effects. Maybe the blacklist in option for
12d1:140c must be adjusted.

> Do you have the full "lsusb -v" listings for all modes of this device?

Is now attached.

> And do you happen to know exactly what Windows matches on (i.e. is it a
> device specific VID/PID/MI or something else)?  You can find this
> somewhere in the Windows device manager.

In windows the device manager displays this:

3Modem:      USB\VID_12D1&PID_140C&MI_00\6&3A1D2012&0&0000
Networkcard: USB\VID_12D1&PID_140C&MI_01\6&3A1D2012&0&0001
Appli.Inter: USB\VID_12D1&PID_140C&MI_02\6&3A1D2012&0&0002
PC UI Inter: USB\VID_12D1&PID_140C&MI_03\6&3A1D2012&0&0003

Thomas