MC7710 enable GPS

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at aleksander.es
Tue Dec 31 00:43:06 PST 2013

Hey Alex,

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Alex Bradley <alex at cni.net> wrote:
> Hey all.  Similar topic, but with an MC7750 card.
>

> On 11/25/2013 09:13 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 18:44 +0400, Danilo Magat wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> i am not sure if this the right place to post and ask a question with
>>> regards to the subject.
>>> i am trying to look for a solution on how can i enable the GPS on my sierra
>>> MC7710.
>>> my OS is OPENWRT ive successfully configure the WWAN to connect on the
>>> internet using
>> If your 7710 is QMI-enabled, I'd use ModemManager or libqmi.
>>
>> If your 7710 is using DirectIP firmware, then you have to follow the
>> directions in the "GPS Enabling and Disabling" section here:
>>
>> http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/sierra_advanced
>>
>> Dan
>
> I'm running libqmi 1.8 with an MC7750 on OpenWRT.    Trying to get GPS
> NMEA output from the MC7750.  I'm not sure how to use libqmi/qmicli to
> talk to the GPS, so I've been using AT commands to enable GPS, and
> confirm that NMEA output is enabled.  The GPS looks like it's working,
> but the problem is I'm not able to see any NMEA output on what should be
> the NMEA port,  /dev/ttyUSB1.
>
> Any pointers on managing GPS with libqmi?

When using QMI you can use the 'PDS' service to both enable the GPS
stack and retrieve the NMEA traces directly from within QMI messaes.
The only issue is that the corresponding qmicli actions are not
implemented yet... :) When I wrote the PDS support for libqmi I
directly integrated it within ModemManager, so no qmicli work was done
at that point.

Still, you should be able to enable GPS support using AT commands, and
also get the NMEA traces in a serial port. I don't think that using
libqmi for connection management would prevent you from using AT to
enable/disable GPS.