Reg AT commands to configure HUAWEI E392 dongle

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Wed Feb 27 05:35:44 PST 2013

<swarnalatha.subramaniya at wipro.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to bring up the E392 dongle in 2.6.30 based kernel on a residential gateway device.
>
> i have backported cdc-wdm, qmi-wwan, usbnet,.c drivers to the kernel.

Ah, right.

> I am able to get dhcp ip for E3276 dongle with AT commands, but not able to get for E392.

Yes, that is a completely different firmware with a completely different
set of bugs ;-)

AFAIK, the E392 will work fine with PPP or QMI, but not with AT^NDISDUP.
The E3276 requires AT^NDISDUP and does not support PPP or QMI.

I would forget about using AT^NDISDUP with the E392 unless Huawei
supports this officially, in which any bugs should be reported to them.

> Bringing in QMI Support needs to bring in libqmi package with glib and
> so many libraries, i am not sure whether my device can meet the memory
> requirements....
>
> Is there any lightweight qmi package available to make use in 2.6.30 kernel.
>
> Please help me in this regard.

Aleksander has done some work bringing ModemManager to OpenWRT.  I
believe that includes stripping down the dependencies of libqmi:
http://sigquit.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/modemmanager-and-latest-udev-in-openwrt/

There is also oFono as an example of an alternative QMI approach:
http://ofono.org/

And then you have the crazy Australians, doing QMI support on 4MB flash
OpenWRT devices, using their own lua scripts (this is a looooong
thread): http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2036176

You can of course do something similar.  You don't need much to send and
receive a few select QMI commands and listening for some notifications.
libqmi wraps it in a nice package, but you don't have to use it if it
doesn't fit.  Scripting QMI using whatever script language you have
available on your platform should be easy.