PBM service

Aleksander Morgado aleksander at lanedo.com
Thu Jul 4 04:28:47 PDT 2013

>> I started to write support for the PBM (Phonebook management) service in
>> libqmi, just to find out that I don't have any modem supporting it... :/
>
> Huh?  Didn't you have a MC7710?  That's supposed to have PBM according
> to the version dump I sent a while ago.  I'm not currently able to test
> and verify myself as I'm actually using mine for internet access in MBIM
> mode right now, but will later if you havent' been able to.

The MC7710 I'm using right now doesn't say anything about PBM. I've got
another one though, will check later.

>> There's a 'aleksander/phonebook' branch in upstream git; can someone
>> install it and run the following in a modem supporting PBM?
>>
>> $> sudo qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --pbm-get-all-capabilities
>>
>> According to previous service version checks from Thomas, there's at
>> least an Alcatel device and the Huawei E398 supporting PBM.
>
> Hmm, maybe I have the E392 with me.  Yup.  It also has PBM rev 1.4:
>
> [04 Jul 2013, 09:40:08] [Debug] [/dev/cdc-wdm1]    pbm (1.4)
>

> Hmm, this didn't work  too well:
>
> bjorn at nemi:~$ qmicli -v -d /dev/cdc-wdm1  --pbm-get-all-capabilities
> [04 Jul 2013, 10:45:18] [Debug] QMI Device at '/dev/cdc-wdm1' ready
> [04 Jul 2013, 10:45:18] [Debug] [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Assuming service 'pbm' is supported...
> error: couldn't create client for the 'pbm' service: Clients for service 'pbm' not yet supported
>

> After adding the attached patch:

Oh :) Of course. Merged the patch, thanks.

> bjorn at nemi:~$ qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1  --pbm-get-all-capabilities
> error: couldn't get capabilities: QMI protocol error (103): 'PbNotReady'
>

> and then after entering the pin code too :)
>

> bjorn at nemi:~$ qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm1  --pbm-get-all-capabilities
> [/dev/cdc-wdm1] Phonebook capabilities:
> Capability basic information:
>         [global-phonebook-slot-1]:
>                 [lnd]:
>                         Used records: 0
>                         Maximum records: 10
>                         Maximum number length: 26
>                         Maximum name length: 98
>                 [msisdn]:
>                         Used records: 0
>                         Maximum records: 1
>                         Maximum number length: 26
>                         Maximum name length: 98
>                 [fdn]:
>                         Used records: 0
>                         Maximum records: 50
>                         Maximum number length: 22
>                         Maximum name length: 24
>                 [adn]:
>                         Used records: 2
>                         Maximum records: 240
>                         Maximum number length: 26
>                         Maximum name length: 24
>         [gw-primary]:
>                 [mbdn]:
>                         Used records: 1
>                         Maximum records: 1
>                         Maximum number length: 26
>                         Maximum name length: 98
>                 [msisdn]:
>                         Used records: 0
>                         Maximum records: 1
>                         Maximum number length: 26
>                         Maximum name length: 98
>                 [fdn]:
>                         Used records: 0
>                         Maximum records: 50
>                         Maximum number length: 22
>                         Maximum name length: 24
>         [global-phonebook-slot-1]:
>                 Maximum emails: 1
>                 Maximum email address length: 44
>         [global-phonebook-slot-1]:
>                 Supported: no

Great, thanks for checking. Already merged the branch to git master;
will keep on with the phonebook support as soon as I get a modem with
the PBM service.