udev_base_dir (Modemmanager)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 07:47:41 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 23:14 +0100, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it is little bit off topic. Today I spent 2 hours to get running qmi/mm again
> after a distributionupdate. (opensuse 12.2 --> 12.3)
>
> The final reason was a change of the udev basedir from /lib/udev to
> /usr/lib/udev.
>
> Does anybody know, if other distributors do the same?
>
> Could the default changed?

That is probably it.  It changed between Fedora 17 and 18 too,
now /lib/udev is a symlink to /usr/lib/udev.

> Or could it automatically recognized by some scripts?

It might be able to be auto-recognized.  The reason it's not tied to
$LIBDIR or something like  that is that multilib distributions (ie, ones
with /usr/lib64) don't put udev into /usr/lib64/udev; it's still
in /usr/lib/udev for some reason.  Ideally your distro would do the
symlink thing too, but I guess not.

In any case, can you think of any specific tests we could use?  Maybe we
check for some well-known utilities like ata_id and cdrom_id and use
that directory if those checks pass?

Dan